Thursday, April 23, 2009

Observing and learning from others

One of the most important things from teaching is being able to relate whatever we are teaching to modern things so the students can feel familiar with the lesson. Just like a few people in the class did when trying to relate the lesson to modern singers and music that young people like.

Another important thing is to have a good sense of humor, students will always try to be funny, we’ll also have students who want to make us feel uncomfortable, but if we have a good sense of humor they will stop, because that’s basically showing them that it doesn’t really bother us and we have the control, or course there is a limit for everything but having a good sense of humor will help decrease the brainless jokes.

an additional thing I have learned is, if we tell the students that we are going to do something if they continue their behavior we must do it, otherwise they wont take us seriously; for example John is throwing paper across the classroom I tell him to stop or I’ll send him to the principal’s office next time I see him doing the same action I must send him to the principal’s office. It can also be a positive action like; John if you write your paper you will receive a prize, so when he writes his paper I have to give him his prize. This will help us teach the students who is in control in the classroom.


Energy, Energy, Energy.... we need to have energy to teach, make the lessons fun and interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog...you definately have to learn from others. You also always have to have a sense of humor, if you don't, I think the students will just eat you up. The must important thing is energy!!!!!!!!!!! Nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never foget your "energy, energy, energy" as you put it, in the classroom. I agree with you. It is very important to capture the attention of the students and the only way to do that is to keep them on their toes.

    ReplyDelete